Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer does Soccer Camp her way…..

June 25th-29th

So our neighborhood offered several summer camps this year. Summer only was only able to do one of them since she is only 3 and it was British Soccer Camp. I figured why not!?She loves being outside and doing sporty things. When I told her about Soccer Camp she immediately asked, “What tutu do I wear for that?” Hmmmm….good question!

Well I tried prepping her several days in advance about the shoes (cleats), the shin guards and the high socks since Summer loves to dress up in her cute clothes and shoes (or goes barefoot if she can). I even got the socks with pink stripes. I showed her the jersey that she got and felt like we were on the same page (no mention of tutus).

I was wrong….she woke up that morning with a plan in mind and a pink tutu in hand. Luckily I had an Adidas Soccer shirt (that came with some tennis gear) to go with her tutu and her pink socks looked great! She was willing to wear the dirty cleats (we borrowed them from a friend) because I let her wear her tutu. So that my friends is how Summer came to wear a tutu for her first day of British Soccer Camp.

I don’t know if Coach Kyle knew what hit him when Summer showed up with her tutu as he was about to coach her and 11 other 3 and 4 year olds. Talk about craziness! Most had never played soccer before and didn’t understand any soccer terms. Very amusing! I give Coach Kyle a lot of credit. He was super patient!

Summer did a great job the first 3 days but was not happy the last 2 when Mommy wasn’t there to co-coach (I helped out with terms like…. “little kick” instead of “dribble” etc.). Tom and I were away for our 5 year anniversary. Sorry she was a little difficult for you Mom-Mom those last 2 days.

IMG_0475IMG_0478

Day 1: Ready to go in her pink tutu with her friend Addison!

IMG_0484IMG_0491

I think she actually got it and was doing a lot of the kicking correctly! Go Summer!

IMG_0495IMG_0496IMG_0507IMG_0511IMG_0519IMG_0526IMG_0535IMG_0538IMG_0541

Day 2: I was able to convince her to wear her jersey! She saw the other kids with it on Day 1 and decided to give it a try! Tucker had some snacks while watching big sister kick the ball around!

IMG_0544IMG_0545IMG_0548

Day 3: She wanted pink again so we went with a tennis outfit. At least it was sports gear!

IMG_0549

IMG_0552IMG_0556

Summer with Coach Kyle!

Summer got a report from Coach Kyle at the end:

“You have always got a huge smile on your face and gave 100% effort. Your toe taps have shown great improvement with your balance using the soccer ball becoming better. I’ve had a great summer coaching you and hope to see you next summer. Best Wishes, Coach Kyle”

There was also a list of completed skills…..running with the ball, stopping, dribbling, turning, passing, kicking, tackling and attitude and effort.  And not surprisingly Summer did not complete understanding the rules of play! I don’t even think I know the rules of play for soccer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment